Chesapeake is a city in southeastern Virginia, situated about 11 miles south of Norfolk and about 12 miles north of the North Carolina border. It is also surrounded by Virginia Beach (to the east) and Suffolk (to the west). The city is serviced by Interstates I-64 and I-464 (connecting it to Norfolk); as well as U.S. Routes 13, 17, 58, and 460; and Virginia State Highway 168. Chesapeake Regional Airport is the city’s general aviation facility, with Norfolk International Airport located nearby for commercial passenger service.
- Chesapeake Attractions: Chesapeake sits at the hub of the activity. The city is only 15 minutes from Norfolk, 20 minutes from the oceanfront, and 40 minutes from Colonial Williamsburg. Chesapeake has plenty of attractions in its own right, some of which are listed here:
- Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway; the historic waterway linking the Chesapeake Bay to North Carolina’s sounds.
- Chesapeake Arboretum: Headquartered in an eighteenth century farmhouse with 48 acres of native plants and trees and trail systems which meander through mature hardwood forest.
- Chesapeake City Park: A 75-Acre site which hosts the annual Chesapeake Jubilee and Symphony Under the Stars and also houses the Chesapeake Skate Park.
- Chesapeake Planetarium: The first planetarium built by a public school system in the state of Virginia.
- Chesapeake Veterans Memorial: Commemorates the service and sacrifice of Chesapeake citizens who have served or are serving in the military.
- Deep Creek Lock Park: Heavily wooded with a pedestrian bridge and foot trails.
- Dismal Swamp Canal Trail: An 8.5 mile long multipurpose trail which accommodates horse owners, bicyclists, walkers, joggers, and boat owners.
- Great Bridge Lock Park: A 19-acre venue featuring a two-lane boat ramp, picnic shelters, a foot trail, a large play area, and extensive fishing and crabbing areas.
- Portlock Galleries at SoNo: A renovated contemporary art gallery which hosts local and travelling exhibits.
- Deep Creek
- Great Bridge
- Indian River
- Las Gaviotas
- South Norfolk
- Western Branch